Here are 5 Reasons why caregivers need a break: (Statistics taken from the article “It’s Time to Give Family Caregivers a Break” – The Wall Street Journal)
1. Family caregivers are the backbone of our nation’s eldercare system. According to the Family Caregiving Alliance (FCA), 78% of adults receiving long-term care at home rely exclusively on family and friends to provide assistance.
2. 70% of people with Alzheimer’s live at home, and their families provide at least 75% of that care.
3. 70% of people turning age 65 can expect to use some form of long term services and supports.
4. Almost 70% of family caregivers report conflicts between family duties and employment, resulting in reduced hours, unpaid leave and job loss.
5. Family caregivers spend an average of $5.5 thousand on out-of-pocket expenses including food, medicine and transportation.
What do you think about the current tax credit for caregivers? Do you or a loved one struggle financially due to your caregiving responsibilities? We would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment below or discuss this in our forums.