Suicide Rises Among Baby Boomers
The New York Times has highlighted the challenges faced by the POP Community in an article published yesterday which examines new findings released by the CDC. CDC Mentions stress of “caring for aging parents” as a significant risk factor.
Some of the most shocking findings:
- The most pronounced increase was seen among the “Baby Boomer” generation.
- CDC cites the stress of caring for elderly parents as a major factor.
- Suicides among men in their 50s increased by nearly 50 percent.
- Suicide rates among women age 60 to 64 jumped by nearly 60 percent.
How can you minimize your risk for suicide when you’re middle-aged and Parenting both your Parents and your kids?
Doing “POP” (ParentingOurParents) may not be the easiest of tasks but neither was parenting our children. Although parenting our parents can be demanding, it is also an extraordinarily rewarding opportunity. You are no longer alone. By joining the POP Community, you can learn how to cope better with the challenges of caring for your aging parents — even turn it into a time of healing for yourself and your family. Whatever you do, DON’T give up!
The POP Community can help you when you share your story with others:
- Like us on Facebook, interact with a wide community and share with new friends there how it’s been for you.
- Join the POP Community to blog with other POParents, post your questions, photos and comments for the community and to ask Jane for specific advice.
- Or: sign up for family coaching at Private POP Coaching with Jane.
SHARE YOUR STORY, STOP THE SADNESS, PARENTING MY PARENTS CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE: Click here to comment below.
IF YOU FEEL THAT YOU OR SOMEONE YOU KNOW IS AT RISK FOR SERIOUS DEPRESSION OR SUICIDE, PLEASE CALL THE NATIONAL SUICIDE PREVENTION LIFELINE,TOLL FREE: 1-800-273-8255