I’m glad you asked that question because my folks had so much stuff after being in their house for 57 years. I was really afraid they’d be heart-broken to live apart from it. Boy was I surprised at how much of a relief it was for them to not have to care for all their belongings. When I needed to dispose of the stuff, I did all of these:
- Checked with my parents to see that I was clear what they wanted to “leave behind” and how they felt about that.
- Asked my family if they had any interest in taking some of the items
- Put a few items in storage
- Held a Garage Sale (some of my friends with more valuable items held an estate sale through a professional company)
- Donated the remaining items to Charity and got my parents a tax deduction.